The commemoration of the 101st anniversary of the Armenian Genocide this year is accompanied by lingering tensions in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone where about a hundred Armenian soldiers as well as civilians were killed in an aggression unleashed by Azerbaijan earlier this month.
Last night, participants in the traditional torchlight march held in Yerevan besides a Turkish flag also burned an Azeri flag as a sign of protest against Azerbaijan’s aggression in Nagorno-Karabakh. They also waved a big flag of Artsakh to honor the memory of Armenian soldiers who fell defending the Armenian land.
In the message on the day of commemoration of the victims of the Armenian Genocide President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan declared that no new genocide against Armenians will be allowed.
“Today, on April 24, 2016, I declare for the entire world to hear: there will be no purging or deportation of the Armenians of Artsakh. We will not allow another Armenian Genocide. We – means the Armenian nation, all its segments, we – means our Armenian consolidation,” said President Sargsyan.
In a message on the day, Karabakh President Bako Sahakyan, referring to the four-day war in April, said: “Our foe has not changed, but our people have.”
“On these April days the Armenians all over the world once again stood on their feet undivided and consolidated to affirm to the world that they are ready to defend their Fatherland and dignity and would do everything possible together with their brave sons and heroic army, their unity, cohesion and invincible spirit,” said the NKR president.
On April 23 and 24, the situation at the line of contact between Karabakh and Azerbaijani armed forces, as well as in the northeastern part of the Armenia-Azerbaijan state border, has remained tense. In the line of contact section near the northeastern Karabakh village of Talish 22-year-old solider Hayk Minasyan was heavily wounded with a gunshot of the adversary. A shell from a D-30 ordnance fell in the village of Mataghis: fortunately no one was killed or hurt.
The NKR Defense Ministry reports that the Azerbaijani side continues to openly violate the verbal ceasefire agreement reached between the conflicting parties on April 5, and aims to exacerbate the situation on the frontlines.