A number of steps have been taken in Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh to overcome the consequences of the hostilities unleashed by Azerbaijan in early April. Among such measures was the decision by the Armenian government on Thursday to ensure treatment of wounded soldiers abroad, if necessary.
At a government session the order of sending servicemen abroad for treatment purposes was approved, under which expenses for their treatment or examinations at clinics abroad – provided there is no possibility to do so domestically – will be covered from the state budget.
The funds will be allocated to the soldiers who are wounded at the frontlines while carrying out combat duties. Travel and accommodation expenses will also be covered by the State.
More than 120 Armenian soldiers were wounded in the four-day hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh in early April. Military hospitals in Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh have provided all of them with the necessary treatment, but some will apparently need further therapy and rehabilitation.
“It had been suggested that the Ministry of Defense implement this program from its budget, but by this decision expenses of all servicemen who need treatment abroad will be covered by the government,” Prime Minister Hovik Abrahamyan said.
Armenia’s Minister of Health Armen Muradyan told reporters after the Cabinet meeting that they will consider each case separately.
“If there is a need for additional treatment, which cannot be implemented in Armenia, the possibility of organizing such treatment abroad will be considered. Depending on the circumstances, corresponding clinics will be selected,” Muradyan said.
Besides, in late May the government is expected to present a mechanism of providing the families of soldiers killed in action with a stable income.
Minister of Economy Artsvik Minasyan said that the government considered including families of killed servicemen in small and medium-sized businesses, as well as helping them with agricultural equipment or other means.
“The mechanisms are different, but all of them will get the needed financial support. We will also use the money transferred by Armenians from all over the world, though we are not going to ask anyone to continue to transfer money. The necessary funds are available,” Minasyan said.
Transfers to the special bank account opened by the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic in the period of April 4-18 made over 3.1 billion (about $6.5 million). The entire amount is going to be spent on further strengthening of the combat readiness of the Nagorno-Karabakh defense army.