If war resumes, Karabakh will repel Azeris and advance, says DM

Photo: Photolure

Nagorno-Karabakh’s Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Levon Mnatsakanyan says the result of the four-day war with Azerbaijan earlier this month “shows that the equipment we have and our combat readiness is okay for stopping any adversaries.”

The Washington Post quotes the senior military official as stressing that “if the war resumes, we will not only repel them [Azeris], but advance ourselves.”

Speaking to the leading U.S. daily, Mnatsakanyan acknowledged that Nagorno-Karabakh’s forces did not expect a “broad attack” on April 2.

“Tactically, maybe they have registered some successes,” the Karabakh defense chief conceded. “But I would say that considering all the force they used, it’s rather a defeat for them.”

Authorities in Nagorno-Karabakh say Azerbaijan lost 24 tanks, other military hardware as well as hundreds, if not thousands, of troops in the battles on April 2-5.

Stepanakert has reported 92 killed and 121 wounded in the hostilities.