Azerbaijan continued to shell Armenian military positions and civilian areas in Nagorno-Karabakh on the night of April 28, using different types of weapons, according to military authorities in Stepanakert.
Particularly intensive strikes were reported in the eastern, northern and northeastern directions of the line of contact. The Karabakh Defense Ministry said that, in particular, the Azerbaijani side used MM-21 Grad multiple rocket launchers in shelling the village of Mataghis in the northeast of Karabakh. The village was one of the targets of Azerbaijan’s aggression in early April.
Earlier, on Wednesday, Azerbaijan’s troops also used Grad systems to shell the town of Martakert.
Under Azeri artillery and mortar fire overnight were also Armenian military positions. The Defense Army reported about 240 pieces of ordnance used by Azerbaijani forces.
No casualties among the military or civilians were reported.
“In order to neutralize the aggressive actions of the adversary the Defense Army’s advanced units resorted to preemptive actions,” the Ministry said, adding that the situation in the morning was “relatively calm”.
The Armenian and Azerbaijani militaries reached a verbal agreement on April 5 to halt fire in the conflict zone after four days of heavy fighting that left scores of soldiers dead and wounded on both sides.
Loss of life in Nagorno-Karabakh, however, has continued in sporadic gunfire and fighting since then.