Casualty Update: Armenian death toll after Karabakh clashes rises to 36

The Armenian side said late on Thursday that its death toll after several days of clashes in Nagorno-Karabakh earlier this month has increased to 36. As many as 122 Armenian servicemen are wounded and 21 are missing, the NKR Defense Army Operative Department chief Victor Arstamyan said, summing up the date for April 1-6.

Active military operations in the conflict zone stopped on April 5 after bilateral agreement reached by the chiefs of general staffs of the Armenian and Azerbaijani armed forces. Despite sporadic gunfire, the ceasefire arrangement has largely held since then.

According to Arstamyan, overall tensions considerably decreased during April 7, but in separate directions ceasefire violations with the use of firearms were registered. One Armenian soldier was wounded in the northern direction of the line of contact in Nagorno-Karabakh, and an enemy drone was destroyed in the Aghdam direction.

The Defense Army official said that of the 36 killed Armenian servicemen 9 are officers and warrant officers. “The difference in the number as compared to the previous day is due to the fact that the bodies of four soldiers were found on the battlefield, another serviceman was found alive,” he said.

NKR President Bako Sahakyan said that efforts were underway to assist the citizens whose property was affected by Azeri strikes.

Tigran Atanesyan, an NKR government official dealing with local government and re-settlement issues, said that some 200 civilians deprived of shelter applied to the Karabakh authorities. He said among them were many women, children and elderly people, including those with mobility difficulties.

“The number of people is increasing. They are being accommodated in hotels in Stepanakert. They are now in about three-four hotels. We provide them with food three times a day as well as with medical services,” Atanesyan said.

Earlier, NKR Prime Minister Ara Harutyunyan visited Martakert and stated that the damage caused to the local infrastructure will be quickly restored.

President Sahakyan, who wore a military uniform as he spoke at a press conference in Stepanakert late on Thursday, said that Karabakh’s armed forces were ready to retaliate should Azerbaijan violate the current ceasefire.

“At the same time, we remain committed to a peaceful resolution,” the NKR leader emphasized.